Thursday, September 26, 2013

Mrs. Flora Ate My Ribs

I went to visit Mrs. Flora last night.

On my way, I called to see if she wanted anything for supper.

She did. Chinese food. Egg rolls and chicken fried rice.

She also needed a few of her grocery store staples: grapefruit, bananas, cereal, English muffins, frozen dinners, Hershey’s Kisses, hot chocolate, chocolate chip cookies, brownie mix, and ice cream. Breyers. Mint Chocolate Chip.

As I unloaded the groceries, Mrs. Flora unloaded the Chinese food. She spoke about how good it smelled and how tasty it looked. She asked what everything was. “We each have two egg rolls,” I explained. “And this is the chicken fried rice you wanted, and these are my ribs and pork fried rice.”

I had gotten myself enough food to have for lunch today.

“We probably need real plates for our food, don’t we?” Mrs. Flora asked.

“I don’t need a plate,” I responded. “I’ll probably just eat out of the container. But you can get yourself a real plate if you’d like.”

While I went into the other room to put away the frozen items, Mrs. Flora got out two plates. She opened the eggs rolls and uncovered the ribs. She asked what the chicken fried rice was again, so I told her.

She then began to carefully and happily serve our plates: two ribs for Flora, two ribs for Dee; two egg rolls for Flora, two egg rolls for Dee; half of the pork fried rice for Flora, half of the pork fried rice for Dee. Then the plates were full.

Licking her fingers, Mrs. Flora declared, “This sure smells good…We’ll need something to eat with. I think we need spoons for the rice. And a lot of paper towels.”

After getting spoons for the rice and paper towels for our hands, Mrs. Flora noticed the container of chicken fried rice. “What’s that?” she asked. “Chicken fried rice,” I replied. “But I don’t think we need it :-).”

“No. I don’t think we need it either,” Mrs. Flora agreed.

After finding our seats in the den so that we could watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, Mrs. Flora and I ate our Chinese food together.

She pronounced everything delicious and declared her gratitude for my bringing food.
I texted Barb and said, “Mrs. Flora is eating my ribs.”
She chuckled. I laughed.
And I de-onioned the chicken fried rice for lunch today.

I really enjoy my time with Mrs. Flora. It’s simple. Familiar. Worthwhile. Funny. And it always ends with a hug and smile of thanks.

What more could one ask than that?

Except for maybe some ribs :-).

No comments:

Post a Comment