Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Willard Pride

I got Old Man Willard when I started full-time graduate school in 2007.

That summer, I was working at a camp and one of my primary jobs was to supply shop at Walmart.

As I was exiting the store one day, with two full carts of stuff, I rounded the corner and almost ran over Willard the Walmart Greeter.

That day, I named my computer Willard. Willard is a Dell Inspiron.

Last week, I was entrusted with a school laptop. Currently, I have a MacBook Air, but I will likely need to exchange it for a MacBook Pro. Either way, I’m thrilled to have a school laptop. I’ve never had one before.

And their names? Respectively--Little Willamina and Willamina.

Here’s to hoping for a good year with Willard and the Willaminas…mixed computer types they be.

--------------

On a more serious note:

Sometimes my pride gets the best of me. So when it does, I must remember:

I am not savior of this world.

I cannot single-handedly and instantly change the culture of any system or organization. I can influence the system and initiate new movement but I cannot instantly cause change…good or bad.

I do not always know the best way to complete a task.

I will not always be the best.

I do not and will not know everything.

Not everyone likes, respects, and/or connects with me, nor can I make them.

And all of this? All of it is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment