Thursday, February 14, 2013

So Much To Celebrate

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote my friend Angela and said, “Thank you for sticking with me all these years and choosing not to leave.” She said, “I couldn’t leave. We’re the astronaut and the zookeeper. We have a song.”

When Angela was a little girl, she wanted to be an astronaut. When I was little, I wanted to be a zookeeper. For Angela’s 21st birthday, I wrote her a song entitled, “The Astronaut and The Zookeeper.” To this day, the song is a story of our friendship.

I am grateful for Angela. I am grateful that with as many friends as have come and gone, she has remained constant. Unfortunately, though, I sometimes take that consistency for granted—not just with A but with my other friends and family members whose presence is steady and love is strong.

With as much as I’ve lost and grieved in my life, there is still so much more to celebrate.

So today I celebrate. And I encourage you to do the same—not to send simple Valentines because today is a very secularized day and sending Valentines is what you’re supposed to do—but because you are truly grateful for the people in your life whom love you and who you love in return.

In the retreat booklet that I’m preparing for this weekend, I suggest to participants that they set aside some time for a letter writing worship experience. My hope for you is that you will do the same.

With as much as you’ve lost and grieved in your life, there is still so much more to celebrate.

Celebrate today, my friends. You have much to be grateful for.

----

Letter Writing Worship Experience

As you enter into this time of individual, creative worship, reflect on your life with an attitude of thanksgiving and praise. Let your thoughts and memories run away with you.

Praise God for all that God has done for you, especially for the people whom God has placed in your life.

As you reflect and enter into the mind of God, let your words begin to flow onto the page as psalms of encouragement and healing.

If you worship freely with music, then play soft music in the background. If you worship freely in silence, then sit in holy silence during this time of personal worship.

Take three deep breaths to center yourself, and when you are ready to begin, consider writing notes or letters to:

Someone who has lifted your spirits. Thank him/her.
Someone whom you admire. Let him/her know how special he/she is.
Someone with whom you have had a falling out. Express your emotions. Work through your hurt. Forgive him/her.
Someone to whom you have had to say goodbye. Release all the words you never got to say.
Someone you love. Tell them what they mean to you.
Someone you would like to get to know better. Tell him/her what you see in him/her.
Jesus. Tell him your heart.
Anyone else you cannot get off your mind. Be specific with your thoughts.

If the person to whom you are writing is living, then consider sending him/her your letter. If he/she is not, then keep your letters for yourself or get rid of them if their disposal is a form of healing.

Whatever you do, let your words flow freely and from your heart. And do not feel that your words must stop after your designated time of worship ends.

If needed, use words of scripture for inspiration. Build one another up in Christ. For this, your life, in the presence of God, is your spiritual act of worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment