Monday, August 6, 2012

Worth More Than A Ginormous Diamond

I arrived at Candlestick Retreat Center around 4pm today. As I settled into my space for the week, I took in the familiar sights and smells that have surrounded me for one August week each year for the past six years and I breathed a peaceful breath of thanksgiving. I am grateful for this retreat center, for the people of FBC Aberdeen who invite me to join them here each year, and for the markers in time that Candlestick holds in my life.

As I was saying my hellos today, one of the chaperones who I have come to know and love asked what was new in my life this year—what had happened in the last year that was notable. Surprisingly, I didn’t know what to say—I didn’t know how to boil down a year in one or two statements. I still don’t. The best I can do is say that I turned 35, and while getting older has never been a big deal for me, this birthday has hit me pretty hard…with the realization that all of my friends my age are married and that most of them have children while I remain single with no prospect of marriage. I’m happy for my friends. I’m sad for me. And sometimes I get really lonely.

But alas…

Instead of dwelling on that aspect of turning 35, I want to focus on something that happened at my 35th birthday party. As we sat the dinner table, my nephew Griffin decided that we each needed to tell a story. In honor of my birthday, the stories were to be about me. While mostly everyone recounted the events of a true story, Griffin decided to make one up. This is what he said:

“Once upon a time, Dee went for a walk in the woods and as she was talking, she found a whole bunch of gold.”

Then he grinned as if he had just told the best story in the world. After we asked if there was more to the story, he said:

“And then Dee kept walking in the woods and found a whole bunch of gems.”

With the same satisfied grin, he looked at everyone in triumph. Once again, we asked if there was more, and he said:

“And then Dee kept going further into the woods and found a ginormous diamond.”

And that was it. In the story, I didn’t share the gold, gems, or diamond with anyone. I didn’t change my life by buying a whole bunch of cool stuff. I just found the loot…

…And Griffin found himself extremely proud of his story. And I caught myself thinking that my nephew’s creative spirit and radiant smile, in real life, were worth more than any gold, gems, or diamonds in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment